Welcome to Texas Spec7

Home of the Texas SRX7 Road Race Series

Friday, November 17, 2017
Register  |  Login
Forum
  Forum  
SearchForum Home
  Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Event Write ups- Give us your excuse for not winning  NASA Hallett...
 NASA Hallett

6/15/2009 3:52:12 PM
Rob Lay
250 posts
1st

NASA Hallett
 (N/A)

Great weekend.  Rain stayed away except for a little damp track Sunday morning.

I watched SRX7 Race #2 Saturday from 'The Bitch".  Travis pulled away, but Jeff, Barry, and Mark following had a great battle.

Here is what I saw of the Sunday Race start... bam bam bam - whoosh, whirl whirl whirl, bang!  I will let you use your imagination a little, but Jeff's car was at least 6 ft. off the ground (Barry was underneath looking up at undercarriage) and did a few flat spins.  I hope Jeff and Barry can recover their cars.

I think Travis won all the races.

6/15/2009 7:05:41 PM
chainlink
49 posts
2nd

Re: NASA Hallett
 (United States)

It was a fun weekend overall.  Did the TNT on Friday and enjoyed it, but ate tires pretty bad and cracked my brake rotors.  I had spares, so it was just an evening project.  Saturday was fun.  Ended up finishing 3rd in both races.  Race #2 was one of the most enjoyable races I have had!  Barry and I duked it out for 2nd almost the entire race until I decided to go play in the grass while letting him and the blue / yellow MR2 go by.  Here is a link to the video...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5v1h8sOYQVBLAjPyMxg5zA?feat=directlink

Sunday, was a little different.  I qualified 4th in the group (3rd in SRX7) and late braked and passed Barry and the MR2 in turn 2.  All seemed to be going well and I thought I would just follow Travis for the next 40 minutes.  Well, Barry caught me at the bitch, then at the last turn (don't recall the name), he made a move on the inside.  Well... just watch...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/UhBAXnKfuh_4T-DuYcOS8Q?feat=directlink

All in all, I am ok but a bit sore in the ribs.  I think the car will be ok.  Rear axle is very bent as is most of the front and passenger side sheet metal.  Big thanks to Mark and Buddy for sticking around to help me get loaded.  It would have been verry difficult by myself.  

http://picasaweb.google.com/eljefe640/HMS61202?feat=directlink

As aggressive as Barry and I were being, it was bound to happen.  It is just the nature of the beast.  He is ok and so am I and that is the main thing.

BTW, I heard a rumor that the blue / yellow MR2 might have been shooting video as well.  If so, I would love to see some footage from outside the car. 

6/15/2009 7:12:21 PM
Travis
290 posts
1st

(United States)

As Rob said,  it was a nice weekend.. No rain until early sunday morning, but by our Q, it was dry.

Here is my Hoosier report. very simple and to the point.... we need to run these tires!!  I will post more on the general forum

Not much to say other than I had a great weekend. Won all three races. 

Unfortunately we had another group of cars get mangled.  Jeff and Barry had a good race going on Sunday, then we get a double yellow.  I notice I don't see Barry or Jeff line up behind me. As I come around the front staight, I see both cars mangled.  From Jeffs video, it looks like he did a 180 in the air and Barry either rolled or both sides of his car were in the tire barrier.  I hope they are both repairable.  Jeff's has some serious suspension and his rear quarter panel is bashed in.  If not, I hope to see Jeff out very soon.  He has quickly becoming one of the front runners in the group and is consistent and fun to race with.  Get your car fixed or find a new one Jeff!!

6/15/2009 8:22:19 PM
chainlink
49 posts
2nd

(United States)

Thanks for the nice words Travis.

Travis wrote

From Jeffs video, it looks like he did a 180 in the air

Actually, it was a 720. Two complete revolutions.  It was just real fast.

6/16/2009 8:39:03 AM
mbuskuhl
251 posts
1st

(United States) Modified By mbuskuhl  on 6/16/2009 7:39:55 AM)

The video you've been waiting for...  www.youtube.com/watch- 2:25 the action happens

6/16/2009 5:59:40 PM
chainlink
49 posts
2nd

(United States)

Well, based on that video it appears I started moving over and wasn't clear of Barry.  Mental note- Don't do that! 

It was good racing while it lasted though!!  I don't even mind all the work it is going to take to get it going for TWS.

6/16/2009 6:15:52 PM
Rob Lay
250 posts
1st

(N/A)

chainlink wrote

Well, based on that video it appears I started moving over and wasn't clear of Barry.  Mental note- Don't do that! 

Hans causes another wreck.  If you could have looked over you would have known not clear.  I have a hard time even looking at my side view mirrors with the Hans.  Overall I still like the Hans though.

Yes, looks like you hadn't moved up far enough for Barry to back off, not like he would have done that anyway.  When in doubt give the racing room, turning in from one car width over than usual doesn't cost too much corner speed and most the time you will be able to track out all the way at exit to complete the pass.

You race very hard, reminds me of me in the old days before grey hair. 

10/29/2009 3:56:07 PM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

that crash (my video was above) was one of the first things that has ever had me worried in the car, heh.  It was good to see both you guys out of the car and walking around.

sliding tethers + nice curved mirror = plenty of visbility.  If your HANS is still too restrictive with the sliding stuff there are other SFI38.1 app'd alternatives (including the R3 device that I wear)

Ken Brewer 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
  Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Event Write ups- Give us your excuse for not winning  NASA Hallett...
SearchSearch  Forum HomeForum Home