Welcome to Texas Spec7

Home of the Texas SRX7 Road Race Series

Monday, September 25, 2017
Register  |  Login
Forum
  Forum  
SearchForum Home
  Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Event Write ups- Give us your excuse for not winning  NASA MSR weeken...
 NASA MSR weekend

3/24/2009 9:56:45 PM
Mark
94 posts
1st

NASA MSR weekend
 (United States)

I guess Rob is prodding me to get something out.  Although the Saturday races were both won by Donato (including the Chris H Trophy), Lance, Travis, Tony and I had loads of fun going back and forth, trading positions a few hundred yards behind him.  Hats off to Lance for a solid second in the first race on Saturday.  Finishing order - Donato, Lance, Mark, Travis, Tony, Ted, Jeff.....   Second race Donato, Mark, Lance, Tony, Travis, Jeff, Ted.

Sunday race was more fun, at least for me.  After lots of postioning with Travis and Tony (Lance went of early in Big Bend), I finally got back behind Donato with about 1/3rd of the race left.  Ran into the left hand turn flooding in Big Bend, so could not really push past Donato but stayed with him.  Last lap I finally got a good run and got inside of him entering Big Bend and was able to stay ahead of him for the last couple of hundred yards.  Didn't lead much of the race, but it was the most important couple of hundred yards.   Probably wouldn't have been so easy if Donato hadn't realized it was the last lap.  All that work trying to get my Suburban unstuck from the backyard (due to the rain, trying to get the trailer out) and renting the U-Haul to get the car out to the track paid off!  It was a lot easier packing to go home as well with the 15 foot moving truck - lots of room! 

Thanks Ted for helping pull the Suburban out on Monday so I could get to the ECR race!

3/25/2009 9:59:48 AM
Rob Lay
250 posts
1st

Re: NASA MSR weekend
 (United States)

I had an absolute blast watching the SRX7 racing at MSR. Donato seemed to have the best power and skill for the weekend, but great watching Mark, Travis, Tony, and Lance fighting side by side. A few times Saturday I saw 3 wide or at least 2 by 2. The Sunday race was great. Donato, Travis, and Lance fighting up front. Not sure at what point Lance spun, got stuck, and then set wet grass on fire! So for much of the race it looked like Donato and Travis fighting it out hard with Mark and Tony just trying to stay in reach a few seconds back. The more Donato and Travis fought the more Mark and Tony just inched up. Travis spun before ricochet and then Mark caught back up to Donato. Looked like Tony would get in there too, but I think there were mechanical issues holding him back. Donato had so much more power on the straights than Mark, he left Mark in the dust, but Mark would get back in there on the brakes and in the turns. Lap after lap Mark would get within a foot of Donato's bumper braking into Big Bend, sometimes a nose, and then Donato would motor away down the straight. The last lap and the last corner, the exact same thing as previous several laps. Mark not even as close to Donato, but Donato didn't take a defensive line and Mark just went down on Donato (oh yes he did!) and stuck it. I couldn't believe Donato left the door open giving Mark the win last turn, but hearing that Donato didn't know it was last lap explains it. Donato again had the motor down the straight, but not enough to get by at checkered. Exciting race!

4/30/2009 9:44:39 AM
Donato
137 posts
1st

Re: NASA MSR weekend
 (United States)

Hey Great race report guys...

Only thing I dis-agree with is the "more power" part, Mark and I have Medium power cars, it was just that Marks engine was dying in quite a few corners worse than mine. And for some reason coming up over the back triple apex corners my car would feel like the rear wheels were braking big time ( Bearing?..... Have I changed it? .... Nope too lazy ;) So Mark would kill me coming out. The reason I didn't make my car as wide as possible for Mark was This was a fair cop.... He'd been in the position to take me a couple of times but couldn't, I knew this time he definately could and "Resistance is useless" it was going to happen AND HE DESERVED IT. So....

Still hated it, but what can you do.... Bugger.

Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Event Write ups- Give us your excuse for not winning  NASA MSR weeken...
SearchSearch  Forum HomeForum Home