Welcome to Texas Spec7

Home of the Texas SRX7 Road Race Series

Friday, November 17, 2017
Register  |  Login
Forum
  Forum  
SearchForum Home
  Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Event Write ups- Give us your excuse for not winning  ECR...
 ECR

10/15/2008 12:35:32 PM
Travis
290 posts
1st

ECR
 (United States)

ok. I guess everyone has race hangover.. my review.

arrived Friday, didn't plan on doing track day, but decided why not.. Ran 5 laps and blew tranny.. So I was applauding my great decision to run on Friday so this didnt happen Saturday.. Spent ALL day changing tranny as I have never done before.. Thanks to Lance for having a spare, and stabbing the new one..

Saturday race finished both races 3rd behind Tony and Donato..  but I was developing a stopping problem.  Discovered I am loosing the master cylinder.  So Sunday, I did the pump the brakes dance at each corner and managed to qualify on the pole.. Except during the race I forgot the brake pump dance going into a corner inside of Donato and couldn't slow down enough to make corner and hit Donato.  I broke his axle and think I busted a tranny mount and real axle bearing is going bad.. plus of course the master cylinder..  Not a moment I was very proud of.

My impression of the track at first was I didn't like it.. No fast sweeping corners and the track exposes how slow our cars really are.  Also you can only manage to go into 4th gear twice for a very short time. The two double apex turns seemed identical and boring.. But after each race the track grew on me.. The elevation changes are very cool and so are the completely blind turns where you go up over the turn blind, then come down into a right hander. You can look down to your left and see the cars below probably another 50 ft.

The paddock does stink.. all rocks and my back is paying for laying on them all day while changing tranny. but I'm sure they will pave at some point.  only good place to watch race is up on hill where T&S is. They have bleachers and you can see 90% of track.

Overall a good weekend ( a great weekend had I not hit Donato).  NASA did fantastic and the Desperate Race Wives challenge was a blast.  We will have a new driver with us next year and it will be the first female driver!  Lances wife was only 4 seconds behind Lances Q time and he wouldn't let her shift into 4th!!!

10/15/2008 12:50:42 PM
Rob Lay
250 posts
1st

Re: ECR
 (United States)

Fun weekend, I enjoyed watching the SRX7 races and Race Wife's Challenge almost as much as racing myself. :) I have posted a detailed review in the General forum here, but I also recommend posting your feedback at

http://forums.sowdivscca.org/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2687.

The SRX7 races all kinda mold together, but impressed the multiple 3 wides going through T1/2. Also looked like tons of passing and not too much interference from other classes.  Sorry to those with lost trans and Lance on the engine.  That's not fun.

9 SRX7's!!! Good for you guys and several DFW usual suspects weren't even there. Some new racers that seem to like it and will stick around. Spec Miata numbers have started to come down a little, there were only 20 this weekend, although many from Texas were at the Runoffs.  SRX7 will catch and pass SM like the old days!

Thanks for letting me crash your Saturday happy hour and eat out. The ST folks are boring and go to bed early. :(  I am willing to take all the abuse given like Saturday night if I can hang out. :D

10/15/2008 2:35:18 PM
Rob Lay
250 posts
1st

(United States)

Results up now:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=368860

10/17/2008 12:12:13 PM
Donato
137 posts
1st

(United States)

The track does grow on you....  Sunday night Tony and I discussed where he was faster and where I was, it was interesting to disect the track and figure out where you could improve.

The evelvation changes are fun, blind corners etc. The ONLY thing I miss is a fast corner but there's enough to keep you occupied otherwise. All in all I think it's a fun track.

I didn't have a great weekend for obvious reasons, I SHOULD have won the first race Saturday, on the last lap a couple of lapping cars screwed me up and Friggin Tony followed them through, sneaky bugger (good move though ;) . Won the second race. Sunday I was doing good went from 3rd to 1st in 1/2 lap until the Travis incident, hated to have that happen but It's not the first time nor will it be the last, on a race track sh*t happens. Travis was nice enough to appologize as soon as he could which goes a long way in calming the situation. Don't worry about it Travis, you'll be helping me fix it anyway LOL.

Still fun stuff and the comeradary was once again exceptional.

Girls did a great job - no divorces planned so far, can't wait for a fuller field next year!

10/17/2008 2:48:17 PM
Travis
290 posts
1st

(United States)

Donato wrote

Don't worry about it Travis, you'll be helping me fix it anyway LOL.

Already looking for axle or watts link..

10/18/2008 8:35:38 AM
Mark
94 posts
1st

(United States)

Donato, you sure about the no divorce comment?  I thought you and Laura were going to go to fisticuffs after that first session :)

I agree with everyone else - track grows on you and it was good for me to get back in the car again.  Very impressed with Ted too!  I think he ran every session he could even outside of the races and stayed close when we went at it....  Nick and Jeff also did great in the second race on Sunday (not to mention the other races) - Congrats to Nick on his first win!  I'm starting to learn that after 5 or 6 years, you have to start replacing some stuff - struts were earlier this year, guts of the pressure regulator and fuel filter last weekend.  Car is getting back to where it needs to be, but the track definitely makes you pay a penalty if you're not quite there.  Hopefully I'll get my setup right so I can actually catch a draft versus watching everyone start pulling away. 

FYI - for those of you coming from Denton, if you take 1173 as mentioned on the website, it's less than 25 miles to the track.  Going on 380 was more like 35 miles.  The road is not an interstate, but it seemed to be 10 to 15 minutes quicker.  In the end, ECR is within 5 minutes of what it takes me to get to MSRC from East Plano.

10/20/2008 3:33:18 PM
Chris Taylor
137 posts
1st

(United States)
 Travis wrote

Donato wrote

Don't worry about it Travis, you'll be helping me fix it anyway LOL.

Already looking for axle or watts link..

Do you need just the axle, or the housing? I've got a couple axles and a couple watts links.
  Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Event Write ups- Give us your excuse for not winning  ECR...
SearchSearch  Forum HomeForum Home