Welcome to Texas Spec7

Home of the Texas SRX7 Road Race Series

Friday, November 17, 2017
Register  |  Login
Forum
  Forum  
SearchForum Home
  Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Technical Discussion - get ALL the answers  Will an engine ...
 Will an engine from a '79 work?

3/20/2012 11:19:09 PM
Bark3rd
50 posts
1st

Will an engine from a '79 work?
 (N/A)
Some SCCA dude named Henry has a black 79 for sale on Craigslist. I seem to remember these older cars having the "reactor" or something like that making them not compatible for Spec 7, etc. What is the deal with the 70 engine and if its legal will it make as much power as the later 12As? Most of you know that right now I am looking for a new engine for the #70 car. Donato put sugar in my tank because he was scared the rookie was going to beat him, lol.
 3/21/2012 9:24:05 AM
mbuskuhl
251 posts
1st

Re: Will an engine from a '79 work?
 (United States)

That is not a spec7 car and about the only regional class that thing could have ever competed in was autocross. That was never an on track wheel to wheel race car. Got to love CL. http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2905734150.html

Rules require '81-85 12a only.

There were a pile of 12a's and a 13b for sale on CL recently for $500 or so, about 4 engines. They appear to be gone now though. Watch CL and eBay. Do NOT buy from the guy in Rockwall, trust me.

3/23/2012 11:00:00 PM
Bark3rd
50 posts
1st

(N/A)
What about an SCCA RX7 ITA car? There are a few out there for about what an engine is going to cost. Legal for PTF?
 3/24/2012 8:45:47 AM
mbuskuhl
251 posts
1st

(United States)

An ITA RX-7 motor should swap over, at least as far as the shortblock is concerned. As far as legal for PTF? Highly unlikely. A SRX7 barely makes PTF and ITA allows more modifications than SRX7.  I would not buy an ITA RX-7 just to have the motor. If you can't find a 12a or the parts you need locally, buying on forums is not that big deal. I just shipped a shortblock from Dallas to IN for $130. As long as your engine is not completely shot, it should be about $2k to have it rebuilt parts/labor/shipping and good enough to beat anyone here.

Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Technical Discussion - get ALL the answers  Will an engine ...
SearchSearch  Forum HomeForum Home