Welcome to Texas Spec7

Home of the Texas SRX7 Road Race Series

Friday, November 17, 2017
Register  |  Login
Forum
  Forum  
SearchForum Home
  Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Technical Discussion - get ALL the answers  RA1 or R888...
 RA1 or R888

2/7/2012 11:30:03 AM
Jagerz
18 posts
5th

RA1 or R888
 (United States)

Hi everyone, I am reading through the SRX7 rules which lists the RA1 as the spec tire. In some other threads I am seeing the triple 8 also being run. Are these both OK for the SCCA SRX7 class?

2/11/2012 8:21:28 PM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

Re: RA1 or R888
 (N/A)

Some guys run the R-888 and some run the RA-1. I have both and prefer the 888. That said, it's your money and I wouldn't want to stick my neck out and cost you a set of tires. I will say that i ran my 888s unshaved at the last race and they worked a whole lot better than my un-shaved RA-1s. I've heard it said that the RA-1s work much better shaved and that when they are at the proper depth, there is not a lot between the two.

Maybe the more experienced guys will chime in on this as I am the class "newbie". In any case, I hope to see you at MSR-Houston on February 25th. Whatever tires you are on, you are bound to have a good time. Come on over and say Hi. I'm in the white car #07.

Randy

2/14/2012 12:13:17 AM
Jagerz
18 posts
5th

(United States)

Thanks for the response, so both tires are legal. About you running the r888's unshaved on the last race, was it wet or dry? I currently have 2 sets of shaved RA1s and a set of unshaved RA1s. I just went through comp school at MSR on one set of the shaved tires, so I am thinking about getting r888's as a replacement to see how they feel compared to the RA1s, now that I know it's legal.   

If you were the class newbie before, you might not be anymore :) I was running 2:02's on MSR CCW in school a couple weeks ago, so take it easy on me next weekend :)

2/14/2012 8:23:57 AM
travis77
49 posts
2nd

(United States)

Hey Jagerz,

welcome to the group.  looking forward to meeting you.  I won't be at MSRH this month, but a few guys will be.. Make sure to come to MSRC in March.. we will have a large group that weekend.

To expand on Randy's post.. Yes we decided both sets of tires are legal.  I prefer the R888's over the RA1's. I ran a set of unshaved R888's and compared them to my times of my shaved RA1's and discovered the times were the same.  After a couple of weekends on them, they are faster than RA1's.  So I have chosen to run the R888's unshaved.. They are gripper and you save money by  not having to spend money on shaving them.. Plus I am getting more weekends out of them since I don't shave them.  Another advantage is you don't typically need to flip them to get extra life out of them like you do with the RA1's. 

We have a few neewbies this year.  You'll find we are a great group of races who like to race hard then get together afterwards for beers and food.. See you at the track

Travis

2/14/2012 7:17:10 PM
Jagerz
18 posts
5th

(United States)

Thanks for the info. I was hoping I could run triple 8's so that is good news to me. I am looking forward to meeting everyone and will definitely be out at MSRC, see you there.

2/15/2012 8:12:47 PM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

Thanks, Travis.

To expound on the subject (and since Houston hasn't been a desert lately) what would you run on a wet track, one weekend full tread 888s or new full tread RA-1s?

Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Technical Discussion - get ALL the answers  RA1 or R888...
SearchSearch  Forum HomeForum Home