Welcome to Texas Spec7

Home of the Texas SRX7 Road Race Series

Friday, November 17, 2017
Register  |  Login
Forum
  Forum  
SearchForum Home
  Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Technical Discussion - get ALL the answers  To shave or not...
 To shave or not to shave, that is the question.

2/25/2011 8:35:49 AM
Bark3rd
50 posts
1st

To shave or not to shave, that is the question.
 (N/A)

Im about to order a new set of tires, will probably be my only set unless until I get my rookie license. Should I have them shaved? If so what depth? Need to know ASAP!

2/25/2011 9:09:13 AM
Travis
290 posts
1st

Re: To shave or not to shave, that is the question.
 (United States)

you will get different opinions on this but.. I found that the R888's are just as fast un-shaved.. but I know others do shave them.

If you get RA1's (can you even get those anymore?) then you need to have them shaved.. I think the standard depth is 4/32.. I could be wrong, but the company you order them from should know the standard

2/26/2011 8:47:51 PM
Bark3rd
50 posts
1st

(United States)

Thanks Travis, I have access to some RA1s the charge for shaving is $15 per tire. Worth it? I guess they would get too hot with full tread or is the shaving just for max grip?

2/27/2011 7:42:13 PM
mbuskuhl
251 posts
1st

(United States)

Shave them to 4/32nd's for maximum life and speed. Full tread is for rain only, they will get too hot and chunk if you don't shave.

Travis - Can't reply in Chrome or on Android phone on your site...

2/28/2011 10:51:36 PM
Bark3rd
50 posts
1st

(N/A)

Can anyone shave them for me at the track or around Fort Worth? It would have delayed ship too long if I had the tire supplier shave them.

3/1/2011 7:41:32 AM
mbuskuhl
251 posts
1st

(United States) Modified By mbuskuhl  on 3/1/2011 7:41:43 AM)

Supposedly this place can do it: Hayes Tire Co. 11405 Harry Hines Blvd. Dallas 75229 (972) 247-6195. None of the shops at MSRC shave tires.

3/1/2011 3:48:26 PM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

Most definitely shave your RA1s to at least 4/32nds unless your name is Donato, Travis, or any of the other fast people because they need to be slowed down a touch ( ;-) ) - and note that just about everywhere won't shave a tire that has been run - too easy for pebbles and such embedded in the tread to ruin their expensive shaving equipment.

- KB, who has gone through many an RA1 in his DE and early Time Trial days with Southeast...

Ken Brewer 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
 3/5/2011 8:14:39 PM
Bark3rd
50 posts
1st

(N/A)

Next question: today while mounting center net had to demo the middle a/c ducting, it was a biatch to get out and I had to take off the glove box and the kick panel underneath it. Also the bracket that holds the a/c controls up broke. Do I have to keep this junk on the car for NASA stuff? I still have the dash/shifter surround intact. Plastic is brittle in this thing.

Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Technical Discussion - get ALL the answers  To shave or not...
SearchSearch  Forum HomeForum Home