Welcome to Texas Spec7

Home of the Texas SRX7 Road Race Series

Monday, September 25, 2017
Register  |  Login
Forum
  Forum  
SearchForum Home
  Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Technical Discussion - get ALL the answers  Getting the #70...
 Getting the #70 car ready to race!

10/17/2010 7:25:20 PM
Bark3rd
50 posts
1st

Getting the #70 car ready to race!
 (United States)

I thought I would add some highlights here as I work on the car, critique and/or encouragement welcome. The car has been sitting for 5 years, rust, dirt, and loose wiring bug me so I started with cleaning up a bit:

Pulled out seats and harnesses, prepped floor with Rustoleum "hammered' finish:

Before:

10/17/2010 7:46:05 PM
Bark3rd
50 posts
1st

Re: Getting the #70 car ready to race!
 (United States)

Well, I got locked out of the prevuos post and couldnt figure out how to edit, so going to try with the photos again:

Interior floor before shot:

after rustoleum:

Battery compartment before:

After:

tricked out Pro drive Battery brace, came from a real rally car!:

I was stoked when my stock WRX shift handle fit perfectly. Also repaired the torn up shift boot using a unit from a donor car:

Took a huge mounf of frayed, loose wires and taped them up then stffed them into a radiator hose until I figure out if I can remove them altogether:

I'll finish this post with a question: what is the name of this bushing and where can I buy a new one? It appears to have failed:

10/18/2010 8:18:14 AM
Rex
58 posts
1st

(United States)

That's just a dust boot to keep dirt out of the tie rod end joint.

If this were a daily driver it would be more of a concern.

Not sure if the dealer sells those,  I don't think they are available in the aftermarket.

Of course, a new tie rod end comes witha new boot.

10/18/2010 10:09:17 AM
Donato
137 posts
1st

(United States)

EXCELLENT!!!!

Nice to see someone making a real nice job of the race car, superb!

The ?steering droplink? is still available, check a good parts shop they should be able to source one pretty easily.

Keep the photo's coming, we can follow your progress.

10/18/2010 10:35:15 AM
mbuskuhl
251 posts
1st

(United States)

Energy Suspension PN 9.13105

http://energysuspension.com/assets/files/2010-energy-suspension-catalog.pdf

10/18/2010 12:25:04 PM
Bark3rd
50 posts
1st

(United States)

Thanks guys! This is going to be one bad ass Rx7 (well, as bad ass as one can be..). I already have a new FIA harness, and new window nets right and left.  Really all I need are tires and this thing will be ready to shred!

10/20/2010 11:26:54 PM
Bark3rd
50 posts
1st

(United States)

Hey, someone point me in the right direction for a seat. I took the nasty 20 yr old one out of the car and well, my dog and guinea pig like it so its not going back in. Plus it has all the bolts and bits from various projects in it and, well, dammit I just want a new seat! Theres a seat back brace already in the car so this means I can use any old FIA seat right? Halo? Kind of corn-fused about this. Mmmmm, Racetech....LaJoi, ...yummy,,,,,

10/21/2010 8:58:24 AM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

Bark3rd wrote

Hey, someone point me in the right direction for a seat. I took the nasty 20 yr old one out of the car and well, my dog and guinea pig like it so its not going back in. Plus it has all the bolts and bits from various projects in it and, well, dammit I just want a new seat! Theres a seat back brace already in the car so this means I can use any old FIA seat right? Halo? Kind of corn-fused about this. Mmmmm, Racetech....LaJoi, ...yummy,,,,,

FIA seats are intended to be used without a seat-back-brace.  Some feel that its safer to have the seat flex a bit to dissipate impact forces (I'm in this camp but do your own research and decide for yourself).  However once the seat is out of date it either needs replaced or have a seat back brace fitted (hopefully it was inteded to have a seat back brace when it was built, if not - build carefully to avoid making a seat spear instead of a brace).

Nothing too wrong with a nice aluminum seat as well, those are required to have a brace however even when brand new - but often times they're built with this in mind and are really easy to install beacause of this.

Don't skimp on safety if you can help it whatever you do - this includes doing your homework and making your own decisions as well as not going with the absolute cheapest thing and cutting corners.  It won't be me in the driver's seat if you have a big off and collect something!

Ken Brewer 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
 10/22/2010 11:07:24 PM
Bark3rd
50 posts
1st

(United States)

Ken, thanks for the info. I've done hours of reading on this, studied mfg websites, racing forums with crash footage and aftermath analysis, etc etc. It seems there really are 2 camps, the FIA "flex" guys and the "aluminum seat, I dont want to move in a crash" guys. (Theres really a 3rd camp-the guys with unsafe, crappy setups with no engineering behind it) Best I can tell with the flex guys hope for some deceleration during the impact, and the other group believes that the flex can lead to the harnesses coming loose as well as the Hans. or the seat breaking altogether. The only club racing fatality due to seat failure (lately anyway) was due to this happening, he folded into his rollbar when he backed into the wall at high speed ( I, for one, do not want to go out that way).  Also seems many of the "flex" guys are afraid of the focused force a seat back brace may inflict on the spine. Nascar and F1 are not into flex and survive some nasty crashes, this is also interesting. But, so do rally guys who are almost all "flex" because of the rules- but they have killer cages compared to us. Anyway, Im going to go for the best of both worlds and have discussed with Matt up at Lemco (very close to me) about fabricating a large pad to be welded to my seat brace, with a high density foam insert. This will be bolted to an Ultrashield seat along with a beefy reinforcement to the floor and seat mount. I will source an Ultrashield full containment seat through Joey at Vicks made of the thickest aluminum available (.125") and pad the crap out of it. This along with the right and left side nets and the Hans should work pretty well. Just hope I can get out of the damn thing quickly. And yes, all this crap will likely cost more than the car did!

11/22/2010 9:39:54 PM
Bark3rd
50 posts
1st

(N/A)

Ok, after all my BS grandstanding on seat crap I've decided to steam clean the ancient Sparco that came with the car and rock it for now. Any of you guys going to be in town during the Christmas holidays? I need some help installing the ignition cut switch and engine gauges. Whoever comes will be showered in free booze, pizza, loud metal music, and will be the first to see the car complete and ready to race!

11/24/2010 7:08:59 AM
mbuskuhl
251 posts
1st

(United States)

Where are you located? If you haven't bought a kill switch, consider going the relay route instead of the traditional switch. Many pro teams using relays now. http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=5761078&DESC=&SEARCH=&MPN

11/28/2010 6:16:46 PM
Bark3rd
50 posts
1st

(N/A)

I am in Mansfield, Country Club/Walnut Creek area.  I already have one of these: http://www.batterydirect.co.nz/bi596.htm  but could change to the other part no prob if its easier to install, Vicks will exchange for me. 

As far as the seat, looks like I am back to buying a new one, I discovered a jagged 1" hole in the side of the seat back today. Looks like one of the bolts from the door bar ate through it.

1/15/2011 5:55:55 PM
Bark3rd
50 posts
1st

(N/A)

Steppin' up the commitment boys!  Matt Lemons is getting the car Monday to weld in new seat mounts and install all the safety equipment and both seats. New windshield scheduled for Fri, And.....got this bad boy today:

And also a nicer suit than I thought possible, got lucky and got a new one cheeeeep!

Even so, MSR is still a long shot but might happen.

Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Technical Discussion - get ALL the answers  Getting the #70...
SearchSearch  Forum HomeForum Home