Welcome to Texas Spec7

Home of the Texas SRX7 Road Race Series

Friday, November 17, 2017
Register  |  Login
Forum
  Forum  
SearchForum Home
  Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Technical Discussion - get ALL the answers  Control arm bal...
 Control arm balljoint

5/31/2010 5:38:28 PM
Chris Taylor
137 posts
1st

Control arm balljoint
 (United States)
So I was running 2nd in STU in the National race at TWS this weekend, when all of a sudden going into 1 the car jumped very hard to the right under very light braking. Fortunately it wasn't too severe and didn't require much input to correct, but as I completed the lap I started trying to figure out what was wrong... first I thought the brand new bearings/hub were coming apart. Then I thought the idler arm bushings were completely shot or the bolts had come undone (its all factory original as far as I know... or at least hasn't been touched since 1997 when we bought this car). Turns out the balljoint that holds the strut/steering arm onto the control arm came unpressed. I've tried to press a couple out before and just gave up (always had new or better assemblies on the shelf) and couldn't, so I can't imagine what force it took to pop this thing out. I DID remember tapping one of the curbs in 12/13 but in my old car (now Travis') I'd hit those 3-4 times a session and never had anything happen other than the toe come out of whack after a while.

Just curious if anybody else has experienced this... and a word of warning to check and make sure yours aren't on their way out!
  Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  Technical Discussion - get ALL the answers  Control arm bal...
SearchSearch  Forum HomeForum Home