Welcome to Texas Spec7

Home of the Texas SRX7 Road Race Series

Monday, September 25, 2017
Register  |  Login
Forum
  Forum  
SearchForum Home
  Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  General Discussion - what's going on!  SCCA SW-Div at ...
 Re: SCCA SW-Div at COTA (Austin)?

3/11/2013 2:47:33 PM
travis77
49 posts
2nd

(United States)

great weekend. unbelievable track.. smooth, grippy, fast.. 

Thanks Lone Star Region for a great event.  I thought It went smooth. especially for a huge event.  I believe the downtime between race groups was a COTA mandate, not SCCA.

I will say, pretty disapointed in them taking away qualifying on Sunday.. that was a lot of money to spend for only 5 sessions.  Given the daylight savings change, I think they could have fit it all in sunday.

3/12/2013 9:34:54 AM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

here's a write-up I did for another site

Left work about 4:00 on Thursday to load up and finish some tiny last odds & ends like swapping over to my freshest set of non-sticker Hoosiers, etc. Loading went slow, esp since my help (Laura) was stuck in pretty awful traffic and only got there by the time I was just about done. We got on the road by 6pm with no hope of making registration that night, ugh. Oh well on to the house we were staying at for the weekend.

Got to the track at 6:45 Friday (reg opened at 7 allegedly, but it opened early!) and through registration relatively painlessly, thanks to the priority line for group 1 & 2 it didn't even take a terrible amount of time. Went to tech for my tech sticker, went smooth enough and didn't take very long either. Went to park in the paddock and drove for what felt like 5 miles until I was pointed to an area out by T11 (far end of the track) that was empty where I could unload. Looked at the time, almost 8:00 and went "WTF!". Started to scramble to unload and suit up, but quickly realized it was unlikely to happen before my run group so I calmed down and took my time setting up my space - this was supposed to be a fun relaxing event for me after all. Laura went off for her crew pass after I had the trailer unloaded and unhooked so even if I had gotten the car ready my gear was in the truck - oops! Next time I'll know to get there even earlier, lesson learned. Especially if Registration and such will be open that much earlier than stated.

Watched a few groups, chatted with my formula car neighbors, drooled over their nice shiny FA and FM cars, went and BS'd with the SRX7 dudes I race with at NASA events, and other similar activities until I saw there was going to be a huge downtime for an armco repair and then to run the last two groups before the actual lunch break & drivers meeting so Laura and I headed just down the road to Wild Bubba's Wild Game Grill. Looked like a dilapidated place that was on the verge of falling down, walked in, and holy crap there's all kinds of nice neat shiny new racing memorabilia all over the place. And the menu is kinda crazy - Buffalo was the most "tame" meat on the menu, with stuff ranging from Elk and Antelope to Yak and even Kangaroo. I wanted to try the Yak, since there were signs all over the place about how healthy it was, but apparently alot of people had that same idea as they were sold out so we both ended up doing the Kangaroo since it was only offered Fri & Sat and sounded intriguing. Interesting and subtle flavor, pretty good, would get it again if they were out of Yak or whatever else I wanted to try that I hadn’t yet since I try to be an adventurous eater within reason and always like to try new things.

After lunch Laura dropped me off for the drivers meeting. It was, uhh, interesting and all over the place until Butch Kummer kinda took over and got everything straightened out & going in the right direction. Oh and then "btw, we're starting back up in 10 min". Uhh, wtf ok I guess - better rush and get suited up and oh yeah its wet enough for rains now so gotta change those too. Laura was the only crew at this point in the weekend so we really scrambled to get tires changed and me suited up but she pulled it off and got me down to grid just before the 5 min whistle so A++ great job there. I managed to get my heart rate down from all the scrambling around just as they released us and oh and yeah, which way do all these turns go again? Oiy vey.

I got through the session without hitting anyone, hitting anything else, or even going off track so I’d call that successful. My lap times were crap with the weather, 3:08s I think? Got un-suited and chatted with the SRX7 folk and felt a lot better about my times though as I had them all covered at that point though most of them only had half-tread or worse RA1s or R888s so not a fair comparison against my Hoosier H-Wets but also most of them had a couple sessions under their belt so let’s call both those factors a wash :-p . Headed out from the track back to the house we were staying at to relax with a beer and figure out a nice place to eat that evening before the crew reinforcements were set to arrive late that evening.

Saturday was a little misty in the morning but far from wet enough for rains so the crew threw on my dry tires while I suited up. Got down to grid in plenty of time – great job everyone! Since the groups were all so full we were gridded by Friday’s 2nd practice time which was great. I ended up parked next to some smoky old Prod class heap that was trying to kill me with burnt oil fumes. Thankfully I haven’t killed my roll up windows yet, between that and backing up in my grid space some I was able to breathe again. Rolled out on track and worked on pushing in some of the places I was under-driving yesterday. It ended up being a very short session due to several people sliding off into the gravel thanks to the greasy misty track and dry tires. Qualified somewhere in the 40s overall, and towards the back of my class – whoopee I’m not last. Laptime was maybe 3:00 flat-ish?

The day moved by slowly but surely towards group 2’s race with the weather lightening up slightly but still spritzing mist every now and then, just enough to keep us all on our toes watching the groups ahead to see how much mist if any they were kicking up off the track. Conditions ended up being pretty close to dry for us as we rolled out of grid but still not 100% fast dry track or anything. The outlap was ludicrous speed as we tried to catch the front of our split start group (T3 S2k maybe?) & pace car (Corvette I think) which wasn’t too bad, I prefer to warm my tires that way versus going 30-45mph and trying to scrub the car back and forth for 5 minutes. The outlap speed did end up stringing the field out so much that the start was waved off though so a little slower would’ve been ideal for me. Second time around we were formed up great and off we went barreling into the climb towards turn 1. I’ll have to let the video (to be posted) speak here as it’s hard to put enough words together to explain how crazy chaotic fun the first several laps were. Even late in the race was pretty intense. I raced very politely, not throwing many blocks or anything, as again this was supposed to be a fun relaxing non-serious-business event for me. I ended up with a 2:50.XXX best lap, which seemed decent for the conditions and my car.

We treated the crew to some hole-in-the-wall Mexican food & beer lunch off site and came back to the track to watch some formula car groups slide around in the ever increasing mist from the great vantage point of the bridge that crosses the track just before the big fast esses – somewhere you’d never be able to sit and watch F1 or any other pro race from. Enjoyed that while bs’ing with the crew and other people I knew that showed up and met a few new people as well. As the last few run groups progressed it became apparent that the event had gotten enough behind schedule that the last group wouldn’t get to race. Ouch. The race day ended which meant it was time to walk over to the party. We moseyed around looking for it for quite a while before we found it, thankfully we each had a beer or two on us to enjoy during that time. The place was packed, so we stepped outside and sat in the super “luxury” seats just above the F1 pit stalls and bs’d with Derek about how his Celica came in 2lbs light and made new friends among him, myself, and the rest of my crew. Apparently the seats we sat in were luxury because of their location, not their comfort, so once we had enough of soaking in the ambiance we headed back to the house we were staying at for a nightcap and some much needed sleep at that point.

Due to the Saturday delays qualifying was cancelled for Sunday, which kind of sucked as I was looking forward to a little bit more track time. Grid was set by laptimes from the previous day’s race so we all lined up for our one and only session of the day and off we went. Another very fast outlap but apparently we weren’t strung out far enough to draw a wave off so the green was thrown. The people around me including myself ended up strung out pretty far and we started single file. Wasn’t nearly as intense and fun a start as a result, but we all settled into a groove and the Miatas around me and myself had some fun respectful sportsman-like racing for the next half hour until the checker flew. I’ll have video posted soon for this as well. Best lap was 2:48.550, well below the goal I had set for myself based on Saturday’s times. Chatted with the drivers I was racing with in impound, had some water, and then hopped in the trunk so the crew could drive and ride in the car this time around – they had earned it. We loaded up pretty quickly and grabbed some BBQ near Bastrop for lunch before going on our separate ways home.

All in all I had fun and will likely try and do this event next year, even despite some of the schedule inefficiencies and other slight growing pains making things not quite so fun. I know the organizers are well aware of the issues and will definitely work on making things better next year.  The track was extremely fun and made for fantastic racing. And the people running the event weren’t as old and curmudgeon-like as rumors had it – I didn’t meet a single mean person in charge the entire time and it seemed like they were all at least trying to make things work as well as they could.

Ken Brewer 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
 3/13/2013 8:37:33 AM
mbuskuhl
251 posts
1st

(United States)

travis77 wrote

Given the daylight savings change, I think they could have fit it all in sunday.

CoTA had a strict requirement of no cars on track after 6pm, try telling group 7 they don't get race 2 after you have towed from CA. Losing qualifying Sunday was a big dissapointment given the costs involved. SCCA events always run a little slow due to the bureacracy and the way they do things, that's never going to change.

3/15/2013 10:07:02 AM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

video:

Saturday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B76fdzGySRE

Sunday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Uatsu4PaQ

Ken Brewer 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
  Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  General Discussion - what's going on!  SCCA SW-Div at ...
SearchSearch  Forum HomeForum Home