Welcome to Texas Spec7

Home of the Texas SRX7 Road Race Series

Friday, November 24, 2017
Register  |  Login
Forum
  Forum  
SearchForum Home
  Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  General Discussion - what's going on!  SCCA SW-Div at ...
 Re: SCCA SW-Div at COTA (Austin)?

11/3/2012 8:25:24 AM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

I got an email from James Rogerson, Houston Region SCCA Regional Executive, and he clarified the licensing situation.

NASA race license holders qualify for an SCCA Regional License. Join SCCA, do some paperwork, pay the license fee, and it's yours. Simple as that. (reference GCR 3.1.5.C)

Here is the link to the "previous experience" memo  http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/Documents/Waivers%20and%20Crediting%20for%20Previous%20Racing%20Exp%20Letter.pdf

James is working on an upgrade to a National license for experienced drivers that could be done in one weekend.This requires some coordination as the divisional licensing director would need to be there. There is a race weekend at MSR-H a week or two before the March event at COTA.

Ken, can you get your SCCA paperwork in in time for the December 8/9 event at MSR-H? If so I'll see you there. James will be there if you have any questions for him.

11/5/2012 9:09:11 AM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

Yep, I had already been chatting with Sidney and recived similar info. 

He told me similar stuff - join SCCA, register, provide copies of current NASA stuff - provisional regional license no problem.  But to get the National I'd have to do that *and* 4 races (double in Dec, double in Mar).  That extra crap in the whole National license steps is cost prohibitive to me at this point in time, so I'll look for another avenue to drive the track a different way (test day, or some DE group, or) first.  The 4 extra races / 2 weekend piled on top is past my breaking point - starting to push well past 2k and close in on $3k in entry fees, licensing costs, etc for one weekend to drive on one track.  At least I don't have to do a school and such on top of all that, but damn.

Any ideas/info on being able to run the test day on a provisional regional license?

Ken Brewer 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
 11/5/2012 10:47:35 AM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

Great! Glad you got the scoop.

No idea what the deal is on the Thursday test and tune, but I would bet you qualify.

SCCA membership is $80.00, regional competition license is $85. For $165.00 it might be worth doing the paperwork now so you are ready if the licensing question is resolved or if, better, this turns into a rational, which is the SCCA term for a combined regional and national, you will be ready to go.

I hope you can make it to the SCCA regional at MSR-H December 8/9. You can run ITA or STL and either will put you in the same group as SRX7, so it'll look a lot like PTF.

11/5/2012 11:49:00 AM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

I'm at the "it doesn't matter" stage - I'm looking at far too many costs to get in on that weekend until / unless they relax it to a Rational or whatever so I don't have to jump through all the extra hoops just to get a National license so I can run.  The small amount of hoop-jumping for getting a provisional regional license is ok and expected and I can deal with them just fine, but the extra races, fees, and other stuff for the National license adds far too much expense (nevermind hassle) with the main focus of this all being for just one weekend one particular track.

I'll either do the event in Austin if its a Rational/Regional or whatever and I can do it just by joining SCCA & paying license fees, or just do the test day stuff (if I'm allowed to), or run there with a different group even if it's just DE, or not run there at all and bitch about it until NASA mans up grows a pair and runs there.

11/5/2012 5:25:30 PM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

Understood, Ken. I still hope to see you at MSR-H December 8/9 for the double rational. You will be in our group with a couple of STL cars as well.

All the best

Randy

11/6/2012 10:59:08 AM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

>Here is the text of the email I received from Rod Dundas, SCCA SW Division Licensing Administrator. Looks like the door is wide open for anyone that wants to take advantage of this. 

Randy,

Following up on James email, we'd be glad to have you guys come race with us at COTA. Please have your friends email me with a brief resume of their wheel to wheel racing experience and a copy of or link to their most recent race results. Depending on their experience I'll likely waive most of them straight into a National license. Those with less experience have time to enter our December double regional and I can then waive the into a National license after successfully completing that weekend.
>
> Let me know if you have any questions.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rod Dundas
> SowDiv Licensing Administrator
 11/6/2012 2:37:55 PM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

Email sent.

As part of this I looked up how many sessions I've driven in (race & TT) on MyLaps.  335...  and with a damned near perfectly spotless record in them too.  Should be good enough but we'll see.

11/6/2012 6:53:25 PM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

On one brand new stretch of toll road southeast of Austin, Texas, you can cruise at 85 mph and not worry about being pulled over for speeding.

That’s because starting Wednesday, on this 41-mile segment of road, 85 mph is the legal speed limit. It’s the highest in the country, and some are wondering whether it might be a little too high. (Fox News)

All this and the cars on the adjacent toll road will be going by at about the same speed! LOL

11/7/2012 9:30:29 AM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

I got approved.  Will be sending in my $$$ and forms over the next week or so.

Was a fairly painless process once I started talking with the right contact.  Thank you VERY much Randy!

11/8/2012 7:14:15 AM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

Your are welcome, Ken, but the thanks is really due to James Rogerson and Rod Dundas at SCCA. They are doing everything they can to make this work for us I hope you will all take advantage of this opportunity to painlessly get back to racing with SCCA.. Hope to see you all at the SCCA regional December 8/9 at MSR-Houston.

11/8/2012 2:21:38 PM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

Hey you still get alot of credit for getting me in touch with the right people and being a good advocate for us.

Quick question because I don't know the answer and I can't find it on SCCA's site - Are memberships good for a 365 day period ie if I sign up now will I be good to go until this time next year?  And what about the race licenses? I'm trying to renew things such that I'd be good to race for most anything next year, so if that's the case I may wait untl Dec 10th-ish to do everything so I have options to run anything at MSR-H, TWS, etc next year as I wish.

I know with NASA the license is done on a 365 day period but the race license are done on a calendar year basis (ie if I bought now it'd still expire Dec 31st).  I don't agree with the 2nd one but it is what it is.

11/8/2012 3:31:24 PM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

At SCCA your license renewal date is made to coincide with your membership renewal date. If you join the club on 12/1/2012 and apply for a license on 1/1/2013, your license will expire the same day as your membership, 11/30/2013 . That way each member has one renewal date and next year you will renew your membership and your license on the same day. If you are going to MSR-H in December, do it now. If not, it can wait. What did Rod say about your license? Is he issuing a National License or a Regional with a one weekend upgrade? If the latter, you need an SCCA weekend between now and March. If it was me, I'd get my paperwork in while it's still fresh in his mind. He's going to be doing a lot of these and time does have a way of slipping by........

11/20/2012 2:26:27 PM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

I got approved directly for a National license, so no extra weekends needed.

How confident are they that they'll do the full track?  I'm seeing reports from other people that the track doesn't want to let anyone besides F1 run the full portions...

1/16/2013 8:26:40 AM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

looks like registration link leaked, chaos is ensuing as SM already filled up in 2hrs with a 10-15 person wait list.

I believe I read somewhere that registration would actually be reset and redone sometime in the next week.  As fast as it seems to be filling up I'd get those PCs fired up ready & waiting on it...

1/17/2013 7:52:15 AM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

Here is the link to the only "official" site for info. You might want to read the letters from the race chair and the supps. He is pretty sprcific about the registration procedure. He also says that the announcement of registration will be on this site and he will give 24 hour notice prior to opening. Good luck!

http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=5405

1/17/2013 8:09:18 AM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

If you want some "Gee Whiz" info on this race, do the math. 7 run groups. 85 cars (max) per group. $650 per car. What is 7 x 85 x $650? Looks like $386,750 to me. No idea what SCCA is paying, but the COTA website says the track rents for $50,000 per day. For what it's worth, I've seen other numbers tossed about on the web.

It still looks like a pretty cool event, starting on Wednesday, but the link in the schedule designed to take you to info on the Wednesday and Thursday test and tune goes to the generic COTA website which has zero info on this program that I could find. No idea what the two test and tune days (Wed Thur) will cost as the entry form, and thus the $650,  is for Fri, Sat, and Sun only.

PS, don't dent a fence or scratch the pavement. It gets expensive pretty quick!

1/17/2013 8:54:15 AM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

I know what NASA was quoted, but it's tough to compare #s without knowing what extras are being provided for the $ and all.  Either way, at $386k that looks like a great investment - roughly 125-150% return.

I'll be watching the link as I can throughout this track weekend, but if any of you see registration open if you'd call or text I'd appreciate it!  I told Travis that I'd ping him if I saw the same, and I can start a contact list / phone tree / whatever if we all want.  I think we're going to need to jump and jump quick to make sure we get a spot...

- KB, #6 STL...

1/17/2013 8:55:18 AM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

guess it'd be useful to out my # out there - 281 - 382 - six four six two (masked to try and avoid getting spam texts... finally got rid of them from the last time I didn't "hide" my #... )

1/17/2013 11:21:13 AM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

I just pinged the email I have for you. Reply if you get it and if not post something here and i'll add you to our list.

3/11/2013 11:23:59 AM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

had fun this weekend despite the event running slow, schedule snafus, poor weather on Fri & Sat, etc.  If those get iorned out next time around it'll definitely be a must-do event.

Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  General Discussion - what's going on!  SCCA SW-Div at ...
SearchSearch  Forum HomeForum Home