Welcome to Texas Spec7

Home of the Texas SRX7 Road Race Series

Monday, September 25, 2017
Register  |  Login
Forum
  Forum  
SearchForum Home
  Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  General Discussion - what's going on!  SCCA SW-Div at ...
 SCCA SW-Div at COTA (Austin)?

10/23/2012 3:39:57 PM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

SCCA SW-Div at COTA (Austin)?
 (United States)

Spotted this in this month's Fasttrack:

MOTION: That the Southwest Division of the Sports Car Club of America be allowed to hold a one time only Double National race weekend at the Circuit of the Americas racetrack in Austin, Texas during the month of December 2013 counting towards the 2014 season. FAILED for lack of a second.

There was concern by the BoD over starting the 2014 National competition season prior to the beginning of 2014.

So does that mean that there will still possibly be an SCCA race at the new F1 track towards the end of next year?  Where's the best place to watch and see if that will happen?  And if it happens, who am I going to have to bug about getting licensed and all that?

Thanks!

Ken Brewer 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
 10/23/2012 7:19:21 PM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

Re: SCCA SW-Div at COTA (Austin)?
 (United States)

We have got to get some kind of race at that track! I hope sanctioning body (SCCA, NASA, anybody) can put something together.

10/24/2012 8:19:08 AM
mbuskuhl
251 posts
1st

(United States)

Jerry who is the RE for Lone Star Region in SOWDIV has been posting on the prod forums and IT forums. This is the most active thread he's been posting on if you want to read through it http://prodracing.com/prodcar/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13912

He does say he would need 300 cars @ $600 each to break even ($180k). I think you'll see SCCA at COTA long before NASA especially with the new Majors Series roll out in full force for 2014. Question is if and how they would work regional classes into a Majors weekend.

10/24/2012 4:00:37 PM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

I'm actually closer to one of the ST_ classes than ITA with the pieces of the dash missing... that's not an issue.

Keep us (esp me!) in the loop... will watch out for what I can spot but don't know the best places to watch for SCCA updates

10/24/2012 5:48:40 PM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

Thanks for putting up the numbers. I had no idea. Seems "do-able" as I think a Major at that track would draw that many cars or more, at least once. The way I read it, no regional classes at a major, so we'd probably be looking at STL. It would be a great draw as both a new track and an F1 track at that, but I have heard concerns about paddock space. Some of us would need additional safety equipment to run STL (fuel cell for one).

10/24/2012 6:06:13 PM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

Sorry for the double post, but I just looked at all 5 pages of the linked post. It looks to me like it's got enough support and momentum that it is going to happen, so I just need to figure out what my car needs to be legal for a National class. I still think STL is closest. Ken, unfortunately ITA is not a national class. Too cool!

10/25/2012 8:19:05 AM
mbuskuhl
251 posts
1st

(United States)

I'm hearing March 2013... more details coming soon.

10/25/2012 2:29:48 PM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

Randy - there's some language in the ST_ ruleset that allows an IT-legal car to run there without the other ST_ safety upgrades.

I'll run whatever class I have to run, just want to get out there... :)

10/25/2012 4:29:23 PM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

Good catch, Ken. You are right about the "IT legal" cars getting a pass on some of the stuff to get into STL. SCCA seems to be doing all they can to get STL numbers up. Might be a good place for us on a national level. I'd look closely to see if your car is IT legal. I don't know one way or another, but it would be worth a look.

FYI, Majors will require an SCCA national license. I don't know if you have one. Not that you couldn't get one as you certainly run circles around me, but it takes time as (I think) your NASA ticket is only good for an SCCA regional license? You would need results from 4 SCCA regional races within the previous 12 months. I'm not sure of the procedure to get an SCCA regional license based on your NASA license. Seems to me like it should be "do-able" but I can't find the spot in the GCR that authorizes it. I'd get started right away if you want to make a March 2013 event. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I'd like to see you out there. It would be great to see you at MSR-H on 8-9 December. You could probably get started on the bureaucracy then. You might want to call Sydney at MSR-H and see what she would advise. She was very helpful when I was trying to get my license.

10/26/2012 10:12:33 AM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

My car came with *2* SCCA logbooks (1st one was filled up with SSB races including Runoffs 1997 @ Mid-O) so maybe it's time it got another entry.  I know cage & safety wise I'm fine for ITA, but it's piddly stuff like missing part of the dash.  If I can run and just be "DQ"d after or whatever, who cares I still got to drive COTA.

Will invesitgate how things stand after NASA @ NOLA.  Might wait for a Jan/Feb event if they're sticklers on the calender year thing.  Got a # or email or something for that Sydney person?

10/26/2012 12:37:51 PM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

You can reach Sydney almost every day at the MSR-H number as she is employed there. 281369O677 or sydney@msrhouston.com. Sydney is also the assistant RE - Club Racing for the Houston Region SCCA. If she can't help you she will know who can.

The GCR doesn't say "calendar year" it says previous 12 months, so the double regional race in December at MSR-H would count as two races. The SCCA has a strange fiscal year policy and won't hold a national race after the run-offs until January 1 of the following year. Regional races they allow, so this may be one of the few opportunities until after the first. Of course with the Majors coming, there may not be many national races at all in 2013. I'm not sure when that program starts.

10/26/2012 12:51:43 PM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

More unsolicited advise:

You may only get a novice permit out of your NASA license (I don't know this, just guessing). If that is so, after the December regional weekend (2 races) you would get a regional license. Two race weekends after that (4 races) you can get a national license. That's if Sydney can't show you a shortcut.If you go to an SCCA school (like at MSR you can skip the novice stage and start out with a regional license. You are then only 4 races away from the national license.

Tip: write down the SCCA sanction numbers of the races you enter. You must list them on the license application for renewal or upgrade. They can be hard to find a year later as they are not always on the results sheets or MyLaps. I write mine down in the vehicle logbook, now. I definitely learned this one the hard way.

10/29/2012 9:25:48 AM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

I'll give 'em a shout after NOLA weekend and see.  I'm sure some of you guys would be good references for me, right? :-p

10/30/2012 10:01:20 PM
mbuskuhl
251 posts
1st

(United States)

It's official. March 2013 at COTA. http://prodracing.com/prodcar/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14083

10/31/2012 8:52:41 AM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

No date set...  just a month.  That's odd unless they'll be there all month I guess.

Off to email licensing people...

10/31/2012 5:35:26 PM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

Went to Lone Star Region website. Banner headline for" March BFGoodrich Tire Super Tour/Majors/Texas Two Step Double National" with a link to dlbracing for registration. I don't know if this is left over from March 2012 (that was pre-majors as i recall) or if dlb just hasn't caught up yet, but dlb doesn't have anything on the March 2013 calendar. Looking forward to something official........

10/31/2012 8:14:43 PM
mbuskuhl
251 posts
1st

(United States) Modified By mbuskuhl  on 10/31/2012 8:17:40 PM)
Track Test and Tune on the 7th
SCCA Practice on the 8th
P&Q/race on the 9th and 10th

No word on price yet or whether regional cars are invited.
 11/1/2012 9:47:23 PM
mbuskuhl
251 posts
1st

(United States)
Seen elsewhere... "Double National and on the schedule as a Super Tour event"
 11/2/2012 10:36:37 AM
kbrew9194
201 posts
1st

(United States)

Wonder what the licensing requirements will be for T&T / Practice.  I'd gladly join SCCA, pay for regional license, and pay for the practice days if I didn't also have to run 4 more additional races (and entry fees to go with it, etc, etc. ugh) and pay for the license "upgrade" to national status.

11/2/2012 1:02:26 PM
rsmart
58 posts
1st

(United States)

Hi, Ken;

Did you get in touch with Sydney? I'd really hate to see you give up on this based on my post. There may be a shortcut or two in the system for an experienced driver.

On the other hand, I like SCCA events, so one race is as good as another to me in the SCCA vs. NASA comparison. I know, everyone has an opinion on this one and I'm not trying to hijack the post, but like the old TV commercial used to say "Try It, You'll Like IT". Four races is only two weekends. The race at MSR-H in December will count. That's two down and it's not even 2013.

Just think, COTA! Big turns and long straights! 5 seconds of acceleration followed by 20 seconds waiting for the braking marker (wishing the car would go triple digits)! Woo Hoo!

Seriously, whatever it take, be there!

Aggregated  SPEC 7 FORUM  General Discussion - what's going on!  SCCA SW-Div at ...
SearchSearch  Forum HomeForum Home